Both the physical and consent forms must be in to the school office before a student is allowed to try out or participate in any school sports. These forms need to be updated on an annual basis. Please take time to review the district’s concussion and head injury protocol. Questions about sports physicals or concussion protocols may be directed to our school nurse.
REEDS BROOK STUDENT ATHLETICS
RSU 22 INTERSCHOLASTIC SPORTS GUIDELINES & AGREEMENT
1. To provide an opportunity for athletes to develop within the RSU 22 system.
2. To provide opportunity for students to feel connected to the school community, whether as a fan or an athlete.
3. To provide an opportunity for the development of both team and leadership skills.
4. To provide an opportunity for students to achieve excellence in sports and learn from defeat.
5. To promote individual responsibility and commitment.
B. PRACTICES – GAMES – PLAYING TIME
Practices are held on a regular basis and are scheduled per the coach. All of the games, times and locations will be made public on the schools website, prior to the start of each season. Any cancellations or delays will be made by 12:00 the day of the game or practice. Parents/fans are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship at all events. Failure to do so will result in removal from premises. Parent-Coach communication will not include questions around playing time. If there is an issue that parents feel needs to be resolved, communication will be done with the athletic director or a school administrator. Practices are closed to the public.
C. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
1. Meet the RSU 22 Interscholastic Sports Eligibility Criteria
2. All permission forms and health information must be completed and on file in the office before a student may participate in any practice or tryout.
3. Must have a minimum grade of 70 in ALL subjects prior to the start of the season. For fall sports, the final grade report of quarter four from the previous year, will be used to determine eligibility.
4. Grade checks will take place bi-weekly and student-athletes are expected to maintain a 70 average in ALL classes. If a student has been identified as having a grade below a 70 during a grade check, they will be moved to academic probation. The student will have one week to either increase the grade to 70 or above, or the student needs to show significant effort in doing so. If the growth or effort is not shown, the student will be dismissed from the sport or activity.
D. TEAM REQUIREMENTS
1. Sportsmanship will be shown at all times, on and off the field or court.
2. The player will obey all training rules regarding use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.
3. The player will attend all practices and games unless excused by the coach. An unexcused absence will mean the player sits out the next game. Two unexcused absences will lead to a meeting with the student, coach and athletic director; this may lead to dismissal from the team or other consequences.
4. The player will obey all school wide rules to include classroom and school community expectations. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action by the coach and may lead to dismissal from the team.
5. The player will be responsible for the cleanliness and proper care of their uniform and all facilities including visiting locations. Players are also responsible for the return of the uniform at the end of the season. Failure to due so will result in a bill for the missing items.
6. All players will ride bus transportation to and from all games and practices when provided unless excused by the coach into the care of their parent or guardian. The Athletic Director must have the note prior to leaving for the game.
7. Players will be asked to dress as a team on game days. This may be business casual attire or a team uniform determined by the coach.
8. If a player is absent from school on the day of a game, the athlete is not eligible to participate in the activity without a note from the athletic director.
E. SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Attitude and desire
2. Skills evident
3. Current physical condition/stamina
4. Knowledge of the game
5. Cooperative spirit
F. ATHLETIC CANDIDATES’ AGREEMENT
If selected as a member of any group representing Reeds Brook Middle School, I do hereby agree to abide by all requirements of the activity, school policies, code of conduct, and transportation rules as set forth by the school and coaching/advisory staff. I understand that these regulations are in effect for as long as I am a member of the activity on the playing fields, courts, or performances, during school and outside school during the activity season. I understand that violations may lead to immediate dismissal from the activity.
Athlete Name: ________________________________________________________
Parent Signature: _____________________________________________________